November 23rd & 24th: City Hall and the Corporation Yard will be closed for the Thanksgiving Holiday.
December 25th & 26th: City Hall and the Corporation Yard will be closed for the Christmas Holiday.
November 20th – 26th: Planner II/Recreation Coordinator Chrissy Meeds will be on vacation. Accounting Manager Mary Brimm will be on vacation.
Employee Holiday Luncheon:
The City’s Employee Holiday Potluck Luncheon & Service Year Presentation will be held on Friday, December 1st at the Fire Hall starting at noon and ending at 1:30pm. City Hall will be closed during those hours.
Look for local events scheduled throughout the Holiday Season. There are many opportunities to be a part of, below are just a few such as:
- November 25th: Small Business Saturday: Shop local small businesses to celebrate and support small businesses and all they do for our community.
- December 2nd: Corning Hometown Christmas Lighted Parade sponsored by the Corning Chamber of Commerce, parade starts at 5:30pm, theme this year, “Holy Jolly Christmas”.
- December 2nd: The Volunteer Fire Department Spaghetti Dinner will be held at the Fire Hall from 4pm to 8pm before and after the Hometown Christmas Lighted Parade.
- December 8th: Lighted Trolley Tour of winning decorated homes and businesses at 6pm and 7pm. (call the Chamber of Commerce for information at 530/824-5550)
- 12 Days of Christmas Photo Scavenger Hunt: To participate contact the Chamber of Commerce.
- December 2nd, Breakfast with Santa: Breakfast with Santa at Rodger’s Theater, 9:00am to 10:30am, & 10:30am to 12:00pm. Participants must register at: https://corningrecreation.recdesk.com/Community/program.
City Job Recruitment:
The City is currently advertising/recruiting to fill the following vacant positions:
- Public Works Director Position: The Public Works Director position is now open with an increased salary range. Closing date to apply: December 1, 2023.
- Police Officer Positions: The Police Department is actively recruiting to fill Police Officer positions. The City Council approved a $25,000 sign on stiped for two (2) open lateral positions.
- Public Works Maintenance Worker: The City is seeking an applicant with construction/electrical experience. Closing date to apply: December 1, 2023.
- Public Works Part-Time Landscape & Maintenance Worker: The City is seeking an applicant with landscape and maintenance experience to work a maximum of 20-hours per This is a permanent part-time position.
Applications/resumes can be submitted online, and you can access associated job information on the City’s website at: www.corning.org/job-opportunities
Corning Disposal/Waste Management Schedules: For your convenience the City’s Large/Bulky Items Drop Off & Pickup Schedules as well as the 2024 Garbage Collection Schedule are posted on our website Bulky Item Flyer 2024 Waste Management Calendar
The City’s Airport, Recreation, and Library Commissions each have one vacant position. If interested in serving on one of these Commissions, please complete an application at https://www.corning.org/documents/commission-application/ and submit it to City Clerk Lisa Linnet at email@example.com. All three commissions meet on specified days the first week of the month quarterly in January, April, July, and October.
Community Event/Street Impact:
- The Corning Chamber of Commerce will be hosting the annual Hometown Christmas Parade on Saturday, December 2nd beginning at the Veterans Hall at 5:30pm. The procession will go east bound on Solano Street and end at Third Street. Solano Street closure will begin approximately 5:00pm to prepare for the parade and will re-open once the parade has finished.
Leaf Pick Up:
The Crew will continue leaf pickup as time allows. Leaf piles must not have branches, brush, or other debris or they will not be removed. Please make sure leaves are not blocking gutters preventing water flow.
A net at the pickleball courts appears to have been cut. The net has been removed for repair/replacement.
ROADS CLOSED – Kirkwood Road and Columbia Ave. Bridge Replacement:
The projects will require Kirkwood Road and Columbia Avenue to be closed to through traffic.
Construction work is on schedule and anticipated that the bridges will be completed, and the roads open the first week of December.
Olive View and West Street Schools Connectivity Project:
Builder Solutions, Inc. continues to work on the Olive View and West Street School Projects. The Contractor is trying to limit the impacts of those who are dropping off and picking up students.
November 21st Planning Commission Meeting:
At the Tuesday, November 21st Planning Commission Meeting the following items actions were taken:
- Denial was recommended on Use Permit for the Taco El Dorado food truck to be placed at the 7 Inn Motel;
- Recommendation of approval to City Council on Tentative map for Margaret Oliveria for property along HWY 99W and I-5 to be split; and
- Recommendation of approval to City Council on A Lot Merger, Re-zone, General Plan Amendment, and Use Permit for the Corning City Recreation Center and Plaza across from Corning City Hall.
Corning Crossroads Project :
The Corning Crossroads project will begin boring behind the 7 Inn Motel for placement of water/sewer utilities to west side of I-5 after the Thanksgiving holiday.
We have opened registration for our Youth Basketball Program. We have also opened a program for a younger group of kids’, specifically 1st and 2nd grade. Register today as registration closes December 15, 2023.
- Ticket sales for the Department’s Christmas Basket Program continues; please donate if you are able.