Please describe any experience.
The actions performed by Corning Recreation volunteers and staff will affect hundreds of thousands of players; therefore, it is imperative that those connected with the program always engage in conduct that is representative of the mission and standards of Corning Recreation.
By agreeing to volunteer for Corning Recreation, the volunteer is agreeing to follow the Corning Recreation “Live, Play, Learn" philosophy. The emphasis is on learning/growing in a positive environment rather than on winning/losing. Volunteers/Staff should be aware of the influence they have on players. Volunteers/Staff are required to display and instill the components of good sportsmanship and not focus on or emphasize winning/losing. Volunteers/Staff are expected to redefine "winning" as improvement. Corning Recreation volunteers/staff are expected to work towards building better athletes and students by teaching fundamentals of the classes enrolled, but also to promote respect, citizenship, and sportsmanship.
The Corning Recreation Code of Conduct is designed to help and encourage all members in our facility or fields to achieve and maintain the standards of behavior of the league or program. The goal is to ensure consistent and fair treatment while establishing a positive and safe environment.
To ensure the safety of all participants and staff in our programs, individuals are responsible for adhering to program policies whenever attending any Corning Recreation program. This includes the use of appropriate language, a civil tone of voice, a calm demeanor, respecting personal space, and maintaining professional boundaries.
Corning Recreation holds the right to also remove any person who does not meet conduct expectations from the premise immediately and may also remove their participant from the program if negative behavior continues. Review the Refusal to Abide by the Code of Conduct.
CODE OF CONDUCT: VOLUNTEERS AND STAFF
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will be aware of the tremendous influence on the well-being of the athlete and will never place the value of winning above the value of instilling the highest ideals of character. If necessary, I will redefine what winning means in order to ensure that my team/class is having a great experience, regardless of our record or the score of any game. I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my students ahead of a personal desire. I will not let my ego or competition overshadow the “bigger picture” of youth recreation.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, and working for a public agency, I will not bring my spiritual beliefs, religion, or grade requirements into the program. I understand that all kids should have an opportunity to be involved regardless of their race, income, or any other potential barrier.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will do my best to have open, honest, and respectful communication with the office and the parents/students. This includes having a pre-season parent meeting, (sports only) setting forth team rules that are followed through consistently and sending weekly email updates to my team.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will ensure that there is team camaraderie and team bonding or students in a class and create an environment where there is no tolerance for unsportsmanlike conduct or any form of bullying.
• As a Corning recreation volunteer/staff, I will respect and support the officials and Corning Recreation staff. I will not indulge in conduct that would incite players/students or spectators against the officials or management. Public criticism or blame on officials, players or management is unacceptable. I understand that “comments” directed towards the officials/management is unacceptable. I will ensure that the parents and spectators from my team or students are always respectful of the officials/management.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will be respectful of the opposing team during all games. I will make the necessary adjustments with finesse if my team is overpowering their opponent in an effort to not embarrass them. I will not use words or instructions that are disrespectful, malicious, or defamatory towards the other team (“take them out,” “go in with high elbows,” “throw at this head). I will ensure that the parents and spectators from my team are always respectful of the opposing team. (sports)
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will make sure that every player has equal playing time EVERY game (unless there are disciplinary/unsportsmanlike issues, in which I will communicate with the player and parent before the game), and if a necessary turn in a player rotation to the gym/field supervisor.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will maintain my composure regardless of any game or practice situations that may arise. I will never curse or use derogatory/threatening language, or motions during any Corning Recreation function, practice, game, or setting in which the players, parents, or staff are present. I will make every effort to understand the situation before trying to be understood.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will refrain from smoking or using chewing tobacco at all practices and during the games and instruct parents and observers to do the same. I will not drink any alcoholic beverages or be under the influence of drugs or alcohol at any time in the presence of players or in any context involving the league.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will ensure all interactions in a Corning Recreation capacity are kept in public places or Corning Recreation facilities.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will do my best to provide a safe playing situation for my players, including being aware of concussion, cardiac arrest, injury prevention, and the signs of child abuse.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will be non-discriminatory and encourage inclusion.
• As a Corning Recreation volunteer/staff, I will make every effort to give every player a lifelong love of the game.